Collaborating with Our Students
January 12-13, 2024 | Lafayette College | Easton PA
The 16th annual SLAC-WPA conference will be hosted by Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania. Named for the Marquis de Lafayette, “out of respect for the signal services rendered by General Lafayette in the great cause of freedom,” Lafayette College was founded in 1826 by the citizens of Easton, Pennsylvania and then attorney (and later US secretary of war) James Madison Porter “to bring the higher branches of education within the reach of youth in the humbler walks of life, even where indigence has traveled:— To elevate the standard of common school instruction— To secure health of the student— To promote the feeling of honorable independence— And, to cement the extremes of society together and so promote the permanent well being of the happiest nation of the world.” Now home to approximately 2700 students and 247 full-time faculty, Lafayette offers 49 degrees across the humanities, sciences, and engineering. Our College Writing Program consists of writing across the curriculum, faculty development to support assignment design and writing pedagogy, and the writing associates program, which pairs trained student workers with writing courses to provide feedback on student writing in progress. Lafayette hosted the second SLAC-WPA conference in 2008, and we are delighted to welcome all of you to campus for our this organization’s first in-person conference since 2019.
This year’s conference theme “Collaborating with Our Students” invites participants to explore the many different collaborations we undertake with our students and consider ways in which students contribute to the effectiveness, sustainability, and reach of the writing programs on our campuses. For details, please see the call for papers. The deadline to submit proposals is Monday, October 30.
- $200 Full-time, tenured, or tenure-track faculty
- $150 Part-time, visiting, or outside the tenure-track
- $50 Student
Your registration fee includes all conference sessions, the Friday evening reception and dinner, and Saturday breakfast and lunch.
Registration deadline: December 18, 2023.
The SLAC-WPA 2024 hotel is The Historic Hotel Bethlehem, 437 Main Street, Bethlehem PA. Conference rate is $170.00 per night night plus tax. Parking is available at the hotel for $10.00 per night plus tax. To reserve a room please visit https://www.hotelbethlehem.com/ and follow the instructions below.
- Click on the RESERVATIONS button in the top right corner of the home page.
- Enter your arrival and departure information.
- One room per name (i.e. Jane Doe cannot book two different rooms under her name.)
- Enter your PROMO code: 357451C871618
- It will return the nightly availability and the overnight room rate.
- Enter your credit card information to complete the booking process.
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours.
A block of rooms will be held for us until December 11, 2023.
PLEASE NOTE: The Hotel Bethlehem will be the site for all sessions and events on Friday, January 12. Lafayette’s campus will be the site for all sessions and events on Saturday, January 13, and a free shuttle bus will provide transportation from the hotel to campus and back.
The closest airport is Lehigh Valley International Airport. Please visit the Hotel Bethlehem site for information about free airport shuttles. Newark Liberty International Airport is just outside of an hour away and Philadelphia International Airport is about 1.5 hours away.
Things to Do in the Lehigh Valley
Museums & History
- National Museum of Industrial History https://www.nmih.org
- Heritage Walking Trail https://www.historicbethlehem.org/visit-us/historic-tours/
- Kemerer Museum of Decorative Arts https://www.historicbethlehem.org/visit-us/museums-sites/kemerer-museum-of-decorative-arts/
- John Sebastian Goundie House https://www.historicbethlehem.org/visit-us/museums-sites/1810-goundie-house/
- Moravian Museum of Bethlehem https://www.historicbethlehem.org/visit-us/museums-sites/moravian-museum-of-bethlehem/
- Bethlehem Steelstacks https://www.steelstacks.org/events/tours/
- Moravian Cemetery
- Burnside Plantation https://www.historicbethlehem.org/visit-us/museums-sites/burnside-plantation/
Cafes & Quick Bites
- The Flying Egg https://www.theflyingeggbethlehem.com/
- Station’s Cafe http://www.stationscafe.com/
- Tavern at the Sun Inn http://www.tavernatthesuninn.com/
- The Joint Coffee Co. http://thejointcoffee.com/
- Bitty & Beau’s Coffee https://www.bittyandbeauscoffee.com/
Museums & History
- Sigal Museum https://sigalmuseum.org
- National Canal Museum https://canals.org
- Parsons-Taylor House https://lvhistory.org/historic-sites/parsons-taylor-house/
- Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania Cultural Center & Trading Post https://www.lenape-nation.org/cultural-center
- The Historic Easton Cemetery https://www.thehistoriceastoncemetery.org/
- The Karl Stirner Arts Trail https://www.karlstirnerartstrail.org/
Cafes & Quick Bites
- Mojo 516 Cafe https://mojo516cafe.com/home/menu/
- Terra Cafe https://www.facebook.com/terracafes/
- Easton Public Market https://eastonpublicmarket.com/
- Hana Sushi & Teppanyaki https://www.hanasushipa.com/
- Giacomo’s https://www.giacomositalianmarket.com/
- College Hill Cafe https://www.collegehillcafe.com/
- Easton Farmer’s Winter Market https://eastonfarmersmarket.com/winter-market-2023/